Saturday, September 17, 2011

Silly Storytime

Storytime recap!

I know I’ve said it before, but wow, storytime is such great stress relief! We had a crazy half hour when we opened yesterday morning, so I was more than ready to escape the madness and sit down with some books and goofy children. Lucky for me, our theme was silly animals! We read:


Cows Can’t Fly, by David Milgrim
Ducks Don’t Wear Socks, by John Nedwidek
Bark, George!, by Jules Feiffer


The kids seemed to enjoy the books, and liked pointing out the weird things going on in Cows Can’t Fly. Ducks Don’t Wear Socks was definitely the big hit. I think it helped that I acted totally goofy when I read Duck’s exclamations. There was plenty of laughter among the group.

For our craft, we made our own silly animals. I actually recycled the leftover cloud cutouts from last week by cutting them down into smaller shapes. These were the “bodies,” and I gave the kids a bunch of stuff to make their animals with: pipe cleaners, colored pom-poms, crayons, googly eyes, and strips of colored crepe paper. My own animal had a twisty, gold pipe cleaner tail, green and pink spots, a green pom-pom nose, and multi-colored crepe paper hair curls. Sometimes the kids burn through the craft quickly, but this one seemed to get them thinking and spending a little more time on their work. That was kind of cool, because once they got an idea of how their animal would look, they really got into making it look silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment