Friday, September 2, 2011

Gather 'Round for Storytime

Storytime!

There’s nothing like having 20 some-odd preschoolers crawling around you (and on you) to give you an end-of-the-week boost. Even better, these kiddos were all attending my storytime! I’ve been given the wonderful opportunity to present weekly storytimes at my library for the month of September, so I thought I’d share my experiences here!

Today's storytime theme was lunches and eating. We read:

Worms for Lunch?, by Leonid Gore
Hungry Hen, by Richard Waring
Sylvie, by Jennifer Sattler

The stories were a lot of fun, and Hungry Hen definitely held their attention best, as there’s a lot of suspense and build up to the end. Worms for Lunch is really great for an interactive group, because there are lots of opportunities to let kids identify the animals they see on the pages.

After reading two books, we had a round of “Pat-A-Cake” to get rid of some of the wiggly energy that was building. Following all the stories, the kids decorated their own paper lunch sacks. We have a great selection of fruits and veggies for the die-cutter, and I made bananas, carrots, broccoli, peas, oranges, apples, and grapes. The kids wrote their names on the bags and decorated them with the cut-outs.

Overall, I’d say the event was a success. I forgot to sing my closing song (nervous brain = forgetful), but I’ll get it in next week.

1 comment:

  1. Great storytime! It is great to see how one really goes!

    ReplyDelete