Friday, June 3, 2011

Just A Few More Minutes! Pleeeeease?

Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late

by Mo Willems


I fell in love with Mo Willem's work when I read Knuffle Bunny. The art is funky and fun, and the story is both hilarious and relatable. His other books are a bit more off-the-wall, but still enjoyable. I picked up a copy of Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late while at the library recently, and I just had to share it with you all.


Summary

As with some of Mo Willems' other pigeon books, Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late speaks right to the reader. We (the readers), have been asked not to let the pigeon stay up late. The pigeon immediately begins to bargain and distract, denying any signs of sleepiness ("that wasn't a yawn! I was stretching!"), and asking about other activities, like having a hot dog party, or watching an educational show about birds on television instead. He eventually wears himself out and falls asleep on time.


Worth staying up past bedtime?

Rating: Early Morning Hours - Well, technically it would be hard to stay up until the early morning hours with a picture book, but this one is worth a few extra minutes beyond bedtime! The pigeon's attempts to stay up are perfectly in tune with what a child might try to do, and his sleepy yawns were convincing enough that I began to yawn as well (although I admit to being completely affected by seeing ANYTHING yawn - if my dog yawns, it makes me yawn, no joke). Definitely a great laugh before bedtime!


Recommended for any age, particularly those who are reluctant to go to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Awww! I love Mo Willems and all his books. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete