Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cooking with Harry!

The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook

by Dinah Bucholz


I just wanted to share a quick look at one of the awesome books I received for my birthday! One of my fabulous coworkers (and fellow book fanatic) presented me with the Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook last week! I don’t really have experience with “unofficial” books - in all honesty, that word makes me think of unauthorized biographies by crazed or angry fans of various celebrity personalities. But this cookbook is not like that. Yes, the author is obviously a fan, but this is such a sweet form of fan-dom! One of the aspects of the Harry Potter books that I’ve always loved is the rich description and detail JK Rowling provides, and these recipes help bring that to life. I love any scene that takes place in the Weasley house, because I can just imagine how cozy and lived-in it must feel. And the scenes from Christmas Day in the first book - the feast, Harry and Ron toasting marshmallows and crumpets over the fire in the Griffindor common room - I can just imagine being there!


This cookbook includes recipes for dishes and snacks mentioned in all seven HP books, as well as some other British-type recipes. Each recipe is preceded by a little description of which book it made an appearance in, and most include some fun facts about the history of the foods! I’m particularly interested in making the chocolate birthday cake that Hagrid presented to Harry on his eleventh birthday, as well as the crumpets that Harry enjoyed while talking to the Minister of Magic after he blew up Aunt Marge and took the Knightbus out of Little Whinging into London.


I promise to share the results as soon as I start cooking!

1 comment: