Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sweet and Spicy

Gingerbread

by Rachel Cohn


Last month, I fell hard for Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares, coauthored by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn. I learned from the book jacket that it was the third book the pair wrote together, the first being Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist. A little more research pointed me to a few titles that Cohn had authored independently, one of which was Gingerbread, which I actually owned but had never read.


Summary

As a love child born to a woman having an affair with a married man, the only time Cyd Charisse has met her father was when she was 5-years old and got to have lunch with him at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. He gave her a doll and some gingerbread, a treat which inspired the name for her doll.


Cyd’s troubled beginning in life seems to have set the tone for her later years. When Gingerbread readers first meet her, Cyd has just been kicked out of boarding school and has returned to her home in San Francisco where she lives with her mother and stepfather. Her uber-controlling mother is driving her up the wall, and once she realizes that her boyfriend isn’t as sure about her as she is about him, Cyd is ready for a change. In a rather fortuitous act of timing, her father (the real one!) has recently asked if she could come visit him in New York for a bit. Her mother relents, and Cyd finds herself off to a city she has only thus far dreamed about inhabiting. What follows is less of a quest for distraction and play time, and more of a journey of self-discovery and understanding about herself and the people in Cyd’s life.


Worth staying up past bedtime?

Gingerbread was a pleasant surprise for me. I didn’t think I would like it at first (Cyd is quite tough, and for some reason her initial attitude grated on my nerves), but I was quickly won over. Cyd can be tough to like - she is defiant, rebellious, and totally honest - but under her tough exterior, she is caring and smart, and just wants a little love and respect, as well as some understanding about her rather screwy life. Definitely a book worth staying up for.


Recommended for ages 13 and up.

1 comment:

  1. I read the books last year and enjoyed them! I really liked Cyd because she was so different from the other YA characters I come across.

    ReplyDelete