Sunday, September 19, 2010

I cannot go to school today ...

I've had that opening line from Shel Silverstein's poem Sick in my head frequently these days:


"I cannot go to school today," said little Peggy Ann McKay. "I have the measles and the mumps ..."


Although in my case, it was just a mean cold ... which turned into a really mean sinus infection. So between the end of the summer semester (two weeks to sleep in!), catching said cold, a visit from mom, moving, the start of the fall semester, and then getting sick AGAIN, I just haven’t thought about posting anything new. I’m back though, fully recovered and with a list of books that I’m just bursting to tell you about. Meanwhile, I thought I’d share with you some of my favorite books to read when I’m sick. Because for me, nothing says comfort like a good book that you can lose yourself in for several hours while waiting for medicine to kill those nasty germs ...


The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing, by Melissa Bank

Any of the Harry Potter books, by J.K. Rowling

Lighthearted “chick lit” books by authors such as Jane Green or Jennifer Weiner

Any of the Bunnicula books, by James Howe

Cookbooks (seriously), so I can think about food that I’ll make once my appetite returns


Here's hoping none of us will need to use this list anytime soon. I'm stocking up on vitamins now in anticipation of all those germy, err, lovely kiddos who will be frequenting the library during the cold and flu season.

No comments:

Post a Comment