Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spooning

Spoon
by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

When I saw the cover of Spoon I quickly realized I was in for a treat. Amy Krouse Rosenthal is the author of an adorable book called Little Pea that I love. I knew I had no choice but to stop right where I was (straightening the shelves of children's picture books) and see what kind of adventures this cute little guy would be getting into.

Summary
Spoon is a young utensil with a lovely family. However, he's begun feeling down when he thinks of the things his friends get to do that he cannot. Knife gets to cut and spread, Fork spears all manner of foods, and Chopsticks are "cool and exotic." Little does Spoon know, his friends are just as envious of his duties! He's not sharp or dangerous; he gets to measure ingredients; and he is independent and can do things by himself. As she tucks him into bed, Spoon's mom reminds him of the fabulous things he can do, such as dive into a bowl of ice cream, or relax in a mug of hot tea. Spoon realizes he really
is a lucky utensil!

Worth staying up past bedtime?
Totally! Spoon was adorable. From the family portrait (members include a set of measuring spoons, a ladle, a strainer, and an ice cream scoop) to the images of Spoon's utensil friends taking part in the various activities they do best, the whole book was a treat. The illustrations were simple yet imaginative, and I found myself recalling my own use of each of the utensils as I read about their adventures. A great treat for all ages!

No comments:

Post a Comment