Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Get 'Em While They're Hot

Bagels from Benny

by Aubrey Davis


I was straightening books in children’s non-fiction the other day (because I volunteer at the library, not because I’m a compulsive person who just straightens books, although I have been known to do so on occasion ...) and came across a book called Bagels from Benny. I was intrigued for two reasons: 1. The cover illustration was a giant bagel with a beam of light emanating through the center, beaming on to a young boy; and 2. I knew - just knew - it was a Jewish story. It wasn’t until I picked the book up and started reading that I realized this was the first religious-themed children’s book I have read since I started my program.


Summary

Benny is a young boy who’s grandfather owns a bagel shop. Everyday, Benny visits the shop and helps out, always noticing how complimentary the customers are about his grandfather’s bagels. “So crusty outside” cries one. “So soft inside!” says another. One day, as a woman thanks his grandfather, Benny overhears his reply: “Why thank me?” Benny is confused. Didn’t his grandpa make the bagels, meaning he deserves the thanks? When he asks about this, Benny’s grandfather explains the chain involved in making the bagels: flour that was made from wheat, that was made from the earth, which was made by God. Benny understands the chain, and thanks God for the delicious bagels.


But he wonders if God can hear him. So he decides that the best thing to do is share the bagels with God, because God should certainly have the chance to enjoy the result of all that hard work. What follows is Benny’s sweet attempts to share the bagels with God, and a realization that he has helped someone else in the process.


Worth Staying Up Past Bedtime?

I instantly fell in love with this story and would definitely stay up to read it again. A little research showed me that the story is actually based on an ancient Jewish folk tale from Spain, and I love the message it conveys. The illustrations were lovely and descriptive, and I found myself thinking fondly of the best bagels I’ve eaten as I looked at the plump, steaming ones in the pictures.


Reviews
“Even young readers will have no trouble appreciating either wisdom that Grandpa offers, or the close relationship between him and his devout grandson.” - Kirkus Reviews


“In creating a child protagonist and introducing an intergenerational element, Davis increases the folktale’s accessibility to young readers, and his fluid prose, too, is welcoming.” - Publisher’s Weekly


“A valuable addition to Judaic and public children’s collections.” - Jewish Book World

No comments:

Post a Comment